From wheat and cotton to soybeans and corn, the U.S. agriculture industry is working harder than ever to feed and clothe billions of people around the world. Through Zurich’s crop insurance business, Rural Community Insurance Services (RCIS), Zurich provides crop insurance — an essential risk management tool we aim to keep available, affordable and viable — to help protect America’s farmers and ranchers whose products end up on our tables and in our closets.
On March 20, agriculture organizations around the country celebrate National Ag Day to recognize the contributions of agriculture in providing plentiful resources. Zurich’s Crop team will recognize National Ag Day with outreach to agents, thanking them for their role in agriculture.
“Together our Crop agents and our team members are crucial to this success story,” shared Head of Crop Mike Day. “By working together we are able to anticipate our customer needs, respond to concerns and be there for our farmers…it truly makes a difference. We are proud to be part of this remarkable industry, and are thankful for everyone’s support and contribution on National Ag Day and every day.”
Also front and center for the Zurich’s Crop team this year is the 2018 Farm Bill, which is set to expire this fall. The Farm Bill is a comprehensive, multi-year piece of legislation passed by the U.S. Congress that governs our federal farm policy, among many other things. Specifically, it can incorporate changes to the federal crop insurance program and how government and the private sector work together to support the people who grow and harvest our food.
Since the federal government has the power and ability to change crop insurance in a positive or negative way, Zurich is actively working with industry leaders and key lawmakers to ensure crop insurance remains affordable and effective for farmers and viable for private sector insurance providers and agents to deliver.
About National Ag Day
National Ag Day is organized by the Agriculture Council of America. ACA is a nonprofit organization composed of leaders in the agricultural, food and fiber community, dedicating its efforts to increasing the public’s awareness of agriculture’s role in modern society.
The National Ag Day encourages every American to:
- Understand how food and fiber products are produced.
- Appreciate the role agriculture plays in providing safe, abundant and affordable products.
- Value the essential role of agriculture in maintaining a strong economy.
- Acknowledge and consider career opportunities in the agriculture, food and fiber industry.
- Zurich Crop is one of 15 private-sector insurance companies that currently sell and service policies through the Federal Crop Insurance Program.
- We are the second largest provider of crop insurance with just under 20 percent of the market, and the only provider to write in all 50 states.
- Corn, wheat, soybeans, and cotton are four of the 130-plus crops Zurich insures.